Medical Transcription Course Details: Given the rising importance of the medical profession today, medical Transcription is one of the most common words that has garnered attention in the recent period. If you’re looking for a medical transcription job, and want to learn more about it, this article will lead you through the course info.
- Medical Transcription Course Highlights
- Medical Transcription Course Eligibility Criteria
- Medical Transcription Course Fee Structure
- Medical Transcription Course Syllabus
- Top Colleges or Institutions Offering Medical Transcription Course
- Medical Transcription Course Admission Process
- Medical Transcription Course Scope and Job Profiles
- Skillset Required to Become a Medical Transcriptionist
- What does a Medical Transcriptionist do?
- Is medical transcription a good career?
- How do I become a certified medical transcriptionist?
About Medical Transcription Course Details
Medical Transcription includes listening to medical practitioners’ speech records and transcribing the statements or dictations in electronic or print format, stating about the patient’s history, operation records, discharge details and more medical documents. Throughout the Medical Transcription course, students will be trained to listen to the recordings of doctors or health care staff and simultaneously transcribe the content. They will be made acquainted to medical terms, and various medical abbreviations will be introduced to them.
Have a look at the Different Medical Courses that are helpful for the individuals to earn jobs easily,
- Course Level: it is an undergraduate course.
- Medical Transcription Course Duration: The course is for six months to 1 year depending on the colleges.
- Fee Structure: Approximate fee range for this course is from Rs. 48,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 per annum.
- Salary: Medical transcription professionals’ annual salary range is between Rs.2,70,000 and Rs. 7,50,000.
- Applicants must have taken and completed their 10 + 2 examinations, or could have equivalent certification from any of the accepted or recognised boards.
- This course is suggested for the students having biology, physiology, anatomy, life science and basic mathematics background.
- Students are required to have research skills, computer skills, technical reading skills and great command in listening and writing skills.
- Candidates should be critical thinkers.
- Applicants must possess great computer application skills, communication skills and should be well acquainted with medical terminology.
- Students are required to have a great command of English.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details in Stream wise, and Category wise
The fee structure depends on the type of course and colleges, universities or institutions the candidate has chosen.
Followings are the tentative fee structure for the Medical Transcription Course.
- For Private Institutions: The Minimum fee is Rs.15,000 which could go up to Rs.30,000
- For Public Or Government Institutions: The minimum fee is Rs.7,000 which could go up to Rs. 12,000.
Underneath is an outline of the overall syllabus. Topics may differ from institution to institution.
There are two modules that are further divided into subparts.
Module 1 is divided into two sections.
Section 1: Language Origins and adaptations
- Grammar, spelling, and Punctuation
- Medical words
Section 2: Dynamics of medical vocabulary and word structure
- Words Dynamics
- Body Dynamics
- Medical Instruments & equipments
- Medical specialties & specialists
- Diagnostic medicine
Module 2 is divided into three sections.
Section 1: Introduction and orientation to report types
- Report types
- Out-Patient Reports
- Inpatient Reports
Section 2: Pharmacological Compendium
- Drug Terminology
- Dosages & schedules
- Terms, symbols, spelling, packaging
- Classification (Brand, generic, and trade name)
Section 3: Surgical Compendium
- Surgical Instruments
- Suture and Dressings
- 4 hours of dictation for pronunciation specifics
- All types of surgery-related terms listing, dictation, and sample reports
- Surgery Compendium includes General, Breast, Digestive, Intra-abdominal, colon, bowel, anal, and many other surgery-related term listing and sample reports.
Top colleges that provide certification for Medical Transcription Course are
- Indian Institute of Medical Transcription in Delhi
- KITCO in New Delhi
- Parul University
The admission for this course is mainly on a merit basis, depending on the marks obtained by the students in their last qualifying examinations.
Medical Transcription is emerging and getting recognition in recent times. With proper training, knowledge and practice, one can enjoy the variety of job profiles after the Medical Transcription fields offer. Unlike a doctor, high credentials are not needed for a medical transcriptionist. The individual must be conscious of the evolving medical terminology in this area. This field provides candidates with at-home medical transcriptionist positions.
Following are a few job profiles one may opt for after completing the Medical Transcription Course.
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Information Clerks
- Medical Assistants
- Court Reporters
- Interpreters and Translators
- Medical Summarizer
- Sr. Representative Medical Recs Coding & Transc
The course provides opportunities to work in various departments of employment sectors. The following are a few sectors where one can seek their job profiles.
- Health care department
- Private Clinics
- Private Companies
- Government sectors
- Excellent Computer Application Knowledge And Fast Typing: The transcriptionist must be familiar with the working of the required applications and their uses. She should be a fast typer so that a large amount of recorded data can be typed out in less time.
- Attentive: this profession requires the most attention from the candidate. It should be her responsibility to be able to note down the recordings in the first go. The said practice will produce more medical electronic documents in less time.
- High Proficiency in English: Most of the doctors deliver their speeches or recordings in English. A medical transcriptor must be able to understand the recordings and interpret them accurately. Without a great command in the English language, the transcriptor may find it difficult to understand the recordings, leading to misinterpretations and can be harmful to the patient as well as the organization as false or incorrect information is produced.
- A keen observer can make the best medical transcriptionist. This designation requires the candidate to be familiar with the new medical terminologies. She should be able to keep track of the minor changes that take place in the medical vocabulary. Likewise, the medical transcriptionist should be familiar with medical abbreviations as well.
- Intellect Listener: it is the transcriptionist’s job to carefully listen to the recordings and note down the same content without any variation. She needs to pay attention to different accents, pronunciations, and dictions to understand the recordings. Thus she needs to be a great listener.
- Critical Thinker: they should be able to identify the medical inaccuracy in the diction. They are needed to be great researchers to make sure the information in the reports is accurate and reliable.
- Effective Time Manager: the medical transcriptionist must be able to handle pressure in the time of need and must be punctual enough to submit the reports even in shorter deadlines.
FAQs on Medical Transcriptionist Course
Medical transcriptionists listen to voice recordings that physicians and other healthcare workers make and convert them into written reports. They also may review and edit medical documents created using speech recognition technology.
Yes, Medical Transcription is a good career and has great packages along with flexible working hours.
Along with your regular studies i.e high school diploma you need to appear for a certified medical transcription training program to become a certified medical transcriptionist.