NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Poem Chapter 10 A Slumber did my Spirit Seal are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English. Here we have given NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Poem Chapter 10 A Slumber did my Spirit Seal.
|Subject||English Beehive (poem)|
|Chapter Name||A Slumber did my Spirit Seal|
Read the extracts given below and answer the questions that follow each :
1. A slumber did my spirit seal—
I had no human fears.
She seemed a thing that could not feel
The touch of earthly years. (Page 136) (Imp.)
(a) What actually is ‘a slumber’ here ?
(b) Explain : ‘I had no human fears’.
(c) What do you understand by ‘earthy years’ ?
(d) Give the meaning of ‘slumber’. (Page 136) (Imp)
(a) ‘A slumber’ here is the deep sleep. It is the body condition when one experiences it.
(b) The poet did not fear the physical or earthy fears when he experienced this sleep.
(c) ‘Earthy years’ are the physical existence of human life when we are aware of physical things around us.
(d) It means ‘sleep’.
2. No motion has she now, no force—
She neither hears nor sees,
Rolled round in earth’s diurnal course
With rocks and stones and trees. (Page 136) (M. Imp.)
(a) Who is ‘she’ here in the first line ?
(b) Where does ‘she’ live ?
(c) Can ‘she’ be seen ? If not, how can one ‘see’ her ?
(d) Give the meaning of ‘diurnal’.
1(a) ‘She’ here is the person most dear to the poet. She is dead now.
(b) She ‘lives’ rolled in the earth’s daily course, rocks, stones and trees.
(c) ‘She’ can’t be seen because she has become an inseparable part of the earth, rocks, stones and trees.
(d) It means ‘daily’.
Thinking About the Poem
1. “A slumber did my spirit seal”, says the poet. That is, a deep sleep ‘closed off his soul (or mind). How does the poet react to his loved one’s death ? Does he feel bitter grief ? Or does he feel a great peace ?
2. The passing of time will no longer affect her, says the poet. Which lines of the poem say this ?
3. How does the poet imagine her to be, after death ? Does he think of her as a person living in a very happy state (a ‘heaven’) ? Or does he see her now as a part of nature ? In which lines of the,poem do you find your answer ?
1. The poet reacts to his loved one’s death so greatly. He feels an extreme shock in it. Death is always associated with pain, misery and sorrow.
2. ‘She seemed a thing that could not feel/ The touch of earthly years’ suggests this.
3. The poet imagines her to be an inseparable part of the earth’s system. No, the poet does not think so because ‘heaven’ is not a dead thing. Yes, she has become a part of Nature. She shall live as long as Nature lives.
The line ‘Rolled round in earth’s diurnal course/With rocks and stones and trees’ has this answer.
We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Poem Chapter 10 A Slumber did my Spirit Seal help you. If you have any query regarding NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Poem Chapter 10 A Slumber did my Spirit Seal, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.
GK General Knowledge: General Knowledge or General Awareness Section is taken as a high-scoring part…
NCERT Books For Class 10: If you are looking for downloading the NCERT Textbooks of Class 10…
First Flight class 10 NCERT English Book Chapter 1 A Letter to God Chapter 2…
NCERT Books Class 10 Maths: The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) publishes…
Class 9 English Workbook Words and Expressions Solutions Words and Expressions Class 9 Solutions Unit…
Class 10 English Workbook Words and Expressions Solutions Words and Expressions Class 10 Solutions Unit…