NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 3 The Little Girl are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English. Here we have given NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 3 The Little Girl.
|Chapter Name||The Little Girl|
THINKING ABOUT THE TEXT
I. Given below are some emotions that Kezia felt. Match the emotions in Column A with the items in Column B.
|1. fear or terror||(i) father comes into her room to give her a goodbye kiss|
|2. glad sense of relief||(ii) noise of the carriage grows fainter|
|3. a ‘funny’ feeling, perhaps of understanding||(iii) father comes home|
|(iv) speaking to father|
|(v) going to bed when alone at home|
|(vi) father comforts her and falls asleep|
|(vii) father stretched out on the sofa, snoring|
II. Answer the following questions in one or two sentences :
1. Why was Kezia afraid of her father ? (CBSE 2017)
2. Who were the people in Kezia’s family ?
Who were the people in Kezia’s family ? Who did support her ? (CBSE)
3. What was Kezia’s father’s routine
(i) before going to his office ?
(ii) after coming back from his office ?
(iii) on Sundays ?
4. In what ways did Kezia’s grandmother encourage her to get to know her father better ? (CBSE)
1. Kezia was afraid of her father because he never spoke to her with love. He always
found fault with her.
2. Kezia had her grandmother, her mother and father. Kezia’s grandmother supported her.
3. (i) He would give Kezia a casual kiss.
(ii) He would ask for the newspaper and tea.
(iii) On Sundays, he would stretch out on the sofa sleeping soundly and snoring.
4. She asked Kezia to make a gift of a pin-cushion on her father’s birthday.
III. Discuss these questions in class with your teacher and then write down your answers in two or three paragraphs each.
1. Kezia’s efforts to please her father resulted in displeasing him very much. How did this happen ?
2. Kezia decides that there are “different kinds of fathers”. What kind of father was Mr Macdonald, and how was he different from Kezia’s father ?
How was Kezia’s father different from Mr Macdonald ? (CBSE)
What was the difference between Kezia’s father and Mr Macdonald ? (CBSE)
3. How does Kezia begin to see her father as a human being who needs her sympathy ?
For discussion at class level. One answer is given below :
1. Kezia tried to please her father. When he would ask her to take off his shoes, he would ask her if she had been a good girl. She would respectfully say that she did not know. But her father would imitate her voice. He would ask her not to stutter. He would ask his mother (Kezia’s grandmother) to teach her not to do so.
At another occasion Kezia sat on a stool. She watched him. He was sleeping. Then he woke up and he asked her not to look like that. She looked like a little brown owl.
Kezia stuffed her pin-cushion with papers. These belonged to her father. These were very important. She said that she did not do that. He asked Kezia’s grandmother to put her to bed at once.
2. Mr Macdonald was a different kind of father. He would play ‘tag5 with his children. He would put the baby Mao on his shoulders. Two girls would hang on to his pockets. He would run round and round the flower beds laughing.
Once Kezia saw the boys turn the hose on him. He tried to catch them laughing. He was a different kind of father. Kezia’s father never played with her. He always looked angry and harsh. He snubbed her.
3. One night Kezia was alone in the house. At night she had a nightmare. She saw a butcher with a knife and a rope. He came nearer (to) her with a dreadful smile. She could not move but cried out. She saw her father standing near her when she woke up.
Kezia’s father made her sleep by his side. He asked her to rub her feet against his legs. It would make them warm. A funny feeling came over her. She thought that he was harder than grandmother. However, it was a nice hardness. He had to work hard. So he was too tired to be like Mr. Macdonald. She heard his heart beat. She told her father that he had a big heart.
THINKING ABOUT LANGUAGE
I. Look at the following sentence.
There was a. glad sense of relief when she heard the noise of the carriage growing fainter… Here, glad means happy about something.
Glad, happy, pleased, delighted, thrilled and overjoyed are synonyms (words or expressions that have the same or nearly the same meaning.) However, they express happiness in certain ways.
Read the sentences below :
1. Use an appropriate word from the synonyms given above in the following sentences. Clues are given in brackets.
2. Study the use of the word big in the following sentence :
He was so big – his hands and his neck, especially his mouth…
Here, big means large in size.
Now, consult a dictionary and find out the meaning of big in the following sentences. The first one has been done for you.
II. Verbs of Reporting:
Study the following sentences:
The italicised words are verbs of reporting. We quote or report what someone has said or thought by using a reporting verb. Every reporting clause contains a reporting verb. For example :
We use verbs of reporting to advise, order, report statements, thoughts, intentions, questions, requests, apologies, manner of speaking and so on.
1. Underline the verbs of reporting in the following sentences.
2. Some verbs of reporting are given in the box. Choose the appropriate verbs and fill in the blanks in the following sentences :
were complaining, shouted, replied, remarked, ordered, suggested
Has your life been different from or similar to that of Kezia when you were a child ? Has your perception about your parents changed now ? Do you find any change in your parents’ behaviour vis-a-vis yours ? Who has become more understanding ? What steps would you like to take to build a relationship based on understanding ? Write three or four paragraphs (150-200 words) discussing these issues from your own experience.
We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 3 The Little Girl help you. If you have any query regarding NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 3 The Little Girl, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.
If you want to know all about MS Word such as features, uses, go through…
Guys who are preparing for competitive exams like UPSC, IAS, State PSC, SSC, Bank, etc.…
Multiple Choice Questions on Tally are given with Answers for the benefit of students. It…
If you are in search of MCQ on MS Excel across the web you have…
Medieval History Art and Culture is an important topic being asked in the Competitive Exams…
Looking for help regarding the Early Vedic Age Question and Answer? If so, you have…