NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 2 The Sound of Music are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English. Here we have given NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 2 The Sound of Music.
|Chapter Name||The Sound of Music|
(Page 20 & 25)
THINKING ABOUT THE TEXT
I. Answer these questions in a few words or a couple of sentences each.
II. Answer each of these questions in a short paragraph. (30-40 words).
1. Who helped her to continue with music ? What did he do and say ?
Who helped Evelyn to continue with music ? What was his/her advice to Evelyn ? (CBSE)
2. Name the various places and causes for which Evelyn performs.
III. Answer the question in two or three paragraphs. (100-150 words).
1. Evelyn hears music not through her ears. But she hears it some other ways. She feels the higher drum from the waist up and the lower one from the waist down. She senses certain notes in different parts of her body. She has learnt to open her mind and body to various sounds and vibrations.
She says that the music pours in through every part of her body. It tingles in the skin, her cheekbones and even in her hair. Sometimes, she plays the xylophone. She can sense the sound passing up the stick into her fingertips. She can feel the resonance flowing into her body. She bares her feet on a wooden platform. She does so to let the vibrations pass through her bare feet and up her legs.
THINKING ABOUT THE TEXT
I. Tick the right answer :
II. Find the words in the text which show Ustad Bismillah Khan’s feelings about the items listed below. Then mark a tick (✓) in the correct column. Discuss your answers in class.
|Bismillah Khan’s feelings about||Positive||Negative||Neutral|
|1. teaching children music|
|2. the film world|
|3. migrating to the U.S.A.|
|4. playing at temples|
|5. getting the Bharat Ratna|
|6. the banks of the Ganga|
|7. leaving Benaras and Dumraon|
Answers to be ticked as such are :
Notes : Students can discuss these in the class, as desired with reference to what is given in the chapter.
III. Answer these questions in 30-40 words.
1. Aurangzeb banned the playing of the pungi for its sound. It had a shrill and unpleasant sound. It created noise only.
2. A shehnai is made of a natural hollow stem. It is longer and broader than the pungi. It has holes on the body of the pipe. It is played on with opening and closing these holes like a flute.
3. The shehnai was played traditionally in the Vishnu temple of Varanasi. His maternal uncle Ali Bux used to play the shehnai there. Bismillah Khan practised it in the temples of Balaji and Mangala Maiya. He changed it by creating Raagas in its playing.
4. Bismillah Khan got a big break. It was when he became a shehnai player on All India Radio. All India Radio was opened in Lucknow in 1938.
5. BismilHah Khan played the shehnai at the Red Fort in Old Delhi. He became the first Indian to greet the nation with his shehnai on August 15,1947. He played Raag Kafi to an audience there. It included Mahatma Gandhi and Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
6. He refused to start a shehnai school in the USA. It was because there was no Ganga there. The Ganga couldn’t also be taken up there. Whenever he was in the USA, he always missed seeing Hindustan.
7. Bismillah Khan loves India and Benaras much. He says that when he is in Mumbai, he thinks of Varanasi and the holy Ganga. When he is in a foreign land he keeps desiring to see Hindustan.
THINKING ABOUT LANGUAGE
I. Look at these sentences.
The italicised parts answer the questions : “What was Evelyn determined to do ?” and “What did Evelyn manage to do ?” They begin with a to-verb (to live, to conceal).
Complete the following sentences. Beginning with a to-verb, try to answer the questions in brackets.
II. From the text on Bismillah Khan, find the words and phrases that match these definitions and write them down. The number of the paragraph where you will find the words/phrases has been given for you in brackets.
III. Tick the right answer.
“If you work hard and know where you’re going, you’ll get there,” says Evelyn Glennie. You have now read about two musicians, Evelyn Glennie and Ustad Bismillah Khan. Do you think that they both worked hard ? Where did they want to ‘go’ ?
Answer these questions in two paragraphs, one on each of the two musicians.
Yes, I think they worked really very hard in their lives. Evelyn became deaf in her early age. This could be a great physical handicap. But she didn’t feel disheartened. She worked like a workaholic. She achieved worldwide recognition. She herself admitted that she had to work often harder than a classical musician. While as a young girl, Evelyn noticed a girl playing a xylophone. She decided there and then that she wanted to play it too. Soon she realized her wish. Through hard work she captured most of the top awards.
Bismillah Khan too worked very hard. He used to sit practising throughout the day. He would sit at the banks of the Ganga and practise in solitude. He felt inspired from the Ganga to invent new ragas. Bismillah Khan’s hard work brought him the country’s highest civilian award the ‘Bharat Ratna’. This is the maximum that an artist can go to.
We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 2 The Sound of Music help you. If you have any query regarding NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Beehive Chapter 2 The Sound of Music, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.
NCERT Solutions PDF for CBSE Class 8 Hindi Vasant, Durva, Bharat ki Khoj Textbooks helps students…
NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Hindi Sanchayan संचयन भाग 2 NCERT Solutions for Class 10…
NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Hindi Sparsh (स्पर्श भाग 2) PDF Free Download NCERT Solutions…
NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Hindi Kritika कृतिका भाग 2 NCERT Solutions for Class 10…
Chapter Wise NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Hindi Kshitij क्षितिज भाग 2 NCERT Solutions for…
NCERT Solutions for Class 7 English PDF Honeycomb Chapters and Poems are curated here in…