10 Train Trivia Facts You Must Know
1. The first steam locomotive was built in 1804 by Richard Trevithick.
2. The first passenger train service ran in England in 1825.
3. The longest train journey in the world is from Moscow to Vladivostok, Russia, and takes 6 days and 3 hours to complete.
4. The fastest train in the world is the Shanghai Maglev, which can reach speeds of up to 268 miles per hour.
5. The world's steepest railway is the Pilatus Railway in Switzerland, which has a gradient of 48%
6. The world's highest railway is the Qinghai-Tibet Railway in China, which reaches an altitude of 16,757 feet.
7. The world's longest railway tunnel is the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland, which is 35.4 miles long.
8. The world's largest railway station is Grand Central Terminal in New York City, which has 44 platforms and 67 tracks.
9. The world's busiest railway station is Shinjuku Station in Tokyo, Japan, which handles over 3.6 million passengers per day.
10. The world's oldest railway station is Liverpool Road Station in Manchester, England, which opened in 1830.
Bonus fact: – The first transcontinental railroad in the United States was completed in 1869. I hope you enjoyed these train trivia facts!