10 Most Famous Universities Of India And Their Notable Alumni
Here are the 10 most famous universities in India and their notable alumni:
1. Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore – Notable alumni: C. V. Raman, Nobel laureate in Physics; A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India; M. S. Swaminathan, agricultural scientist; K. Kasturirangan, former Chairman of ISRO; Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, founder of Biocon.
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi – Notable alumni: Arundhati Roy, author; Amartya Sen, Nobel laureate in Economics; Kapil Sibal, politician; Medha Patkar, social activist; Shashi Tharoor, politician.
3. Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi – Notable alumni: Madan Mohan Malaviya, founder of BHU; Subhas Chandra Bose, freedom fighter; Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister of Delhi; Amitabh Bachchan, actor; Girish Karnad, actor and playwright.
4. University of Delhi (DU), New Delhi – Notable alumni: Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India; Rahul Gandhi, politician; Arun Jaitley, politician; S. Radhakrishnan, former President of India; Vikram Sarabhai, space scientist.
5. Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), Mumbai – Notable alumni: Homi J. Bhabha, nuclear physicist; Nandan Nilekani, co-founder of Infosys; Kiran Bedi, first woman IPS officer of India; Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister of Delhi; Raghuram Rajan, former Governor of RBI.
6. Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), Chennai – Notable alumni: N. R. Narayana Murthy, co-founder of Infosys; K. R. Narayanan, former President of India; R. Chidambaram, former Chairman of ISRO; M. S. Subbulakshmi, Carnatic vocalist; A. R. Rahman, music composer.
7. Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IITK), Kharagpur – Notable alumni: S. S. Bhatnagar, first Director of CSIR; M. Visvesvaraya, engineer and statesman; Amar Bose, founder of Bose Corporation; Ajit Doval, National Security Advisor of India; Rahul Dravid, cricketer.
8. Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD), New Delhi – Notable alumni: Anil Agarwal, chairman of Vedanta Resources; Montek Singh Ahluwalia, former Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission; Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, investor; A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India; Chetan Bhagat, author.
9. Jadavpur University (JU), Kolkata – Notable alumni: Satyajit Ray, filmmaker; Amartya Sen, Nobel laureate in Economics; Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, former Chief Minister of West Bengal; Sugata Bose, historian; Saurav Ganguly, cricketer.
10. Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore – Notable alumni: K. V. Kamath, former Chairman of ICICI Bank; Kris Gopalakrishnan, co-founder of Infosys; S. Ramadorai, former CEO of TCS; A. R. Rahman, music composer; Dhanush, actor and singer.
These are just a few of the many famous universities in India. Each of these universities has produced a large number of notable alumni who have made significant contributions to various fields.